The Numbers of cheetahs in Africa are decreasing due to human-wildlife conflict, and habitat loss due to other predators such as lions. It might be the hardest to spot a cheetah in Africa than spotting a leopard. Many confuse a leopard and cheetah, due to their print. A simple trick to differentiate them is by site and the teardrops. A Leopard is short and a bit heavy while a cheetah is tall, slender, and with long legs. A cheetah has teardrop markings at the bottom of their eyes, which leopards don’t have.
Many know that leopards are elusive and hard to spot while in any game drives in Africa. But in practical sense, Cheetahs are hard to spot due to the few numbers in population.
These are top destinations to spot cheetahs in africa.
- Masai Mara National Reserve:- It’s the best place where you will spot a number of cheetahs in Africa. Other form coalition, as the famous tano bora cheetahs, and the famous Malaika cheetah. They form remarkable sightings with great actions in the plains of Masai Mara.
- Serengeti National Park:- With a shared ecosystem with Masai Mara, Serengeti National Park in Tanzania is 10 time big than Masai Mara, with a good number of cheetah sightings.
- Samburu National Reserve:- Located in Northern Kenya, it hosts a few numbers of cheetahs. Surrounded by other major reserves and conservancies it becomes hard to spot them around or within Samburu Reserve.
- Kafue National Park:- it’s one of the oldest parks in Zambia and offers a unique opportunity to spot cheetahs. in Zambia. It’s a less explored park with a good wildlife population.
- Ruaha National Park:- A less explored park in Tanzania, offers great sightings of cheetahs. The park is located south of Tanzania and known to be a great wilderness experience park.
- Lewa Downs Laikipia Kenya:- These conservancies, Borana, Lewa, Loisaba, Olpejeta, Solio all offer amazing cheetah sightings as they share a wide space to host cheetahs in great population. Their unexplored nature brings another life to the cheetah population.
- Linyati & Chitabe Botswana:- Throughout the wilderness areas of Botswana – even in the arid reaches of the Kalahari. Most likely sightings are at Chitabe in the Okavango Delta and Linyanti (in particular Kwando)
- Hangwe National Park Zimbabwe:- Seeing cheetahs in the wild. Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe’s far west is home to the big five as well as an elusive number of cheetahs. It offers incredible sightings when lucky to spot cheetahs.
Best Safaris to Do to Spot and Locate Cheetahs in Africa
We have crafted and designed some of the best safaris where you can spot cheetahs in good population destinations in Africa. With a population of around 7000 Cheetahs in Africa, they continue to face a huge threat to their existence. Cheetahs are known to social animals, and hence have higher chances to be displaced by their huge threat, Human conflict.
Below are some of the best tours to spot cheetahs:-
- 8 Days Cheetah Safaris in Kenya:- Traversing through the major parks of Kenya, offers you a great chance to spot cheetahs from Samburu to Masai Mara.
- 12 Days Tanzania Safaris:- Visit greater Serengeti National Park, with the Wildebeest Migration and Later fly and check in to Ruaha National park for an intimate wild date with the cheetahs.
- 10 Days Zambia Zimbabwe Safari:- While on Honeymoon, a romantic treat would be sighting a good number of cheetahs in Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Design your safari with our experts to help you spot cheetahs with ease.
We have great and professional safari guides available and ready to help you design and curate a one in a lifetime safari experience. Fill in Our Contact Form with the details you Would want or Send us a Whatsapp text to reach us +254780337652