Masai Mara National Reserve is one of the most common, renowned, and award-winning destinations in Africa. Known for its abundance in wildlife and bird species sightings, it not only offers the best sightings but as well a good holiday experience.
Its paradise to well-known world wildlife photographers who comes to capture incredible moments and living legends such as the Legendary Lion, Scarface, the wildebeest migration, and crossings.
Tourists all over the world visit this remarkable destination in Kenya, in a bid to sight major wildlife species. We have highlighted some of the major wildlife species you can spot while on safari in Masai Mara.
Planning a holiday to Kenya and Tanzania?
GET AMAZING SAFARI HOLIDAYS TODAY
Wildlife Animals to spot While on Holiday in Masai Mara National Reserve
Some of the best and common wildlife sightings you will see in Masai Mara are the big cats, wildebeest, zebras, giraffes, warthogs, antelopes, impalas, crocodiles, hippos, and many more. But below, we will highlight some of the best lucky sightings you can spot while on safari in this reserve.
- A Pride of Lion:- They are commonly sighted in Masai Mara, but a very special sight if you find a huge group of lions hunting, or others with little cute cubs or maybe a coalition of male lions.
- Wildebeest Crossings:- Wildebeest do migrate from the South of Serengeti to Masai Mara. With the major and most awaited episodes happening between June and October every year. The wildebeest crossings are always magical to watch.
- Caracals:- These are rare cats spotted in the larger plains of the savannah including Amboseli, Serengeti, and others. When you spot such rare cats, you feel lucky to have been in Masai Mara.
- Pangolin:- a species that is under threat of poaching in Africa. It’s quite rare to spot them, but special when found, they are elusive and not easy to encounter.
- Leopards:- They are known to be very elusive cats, and nocturnal. But Masai Mara is blessed to have quite a number of leopards including, Kaboso, Luluka, and many others.
- 5 Cheetah Brother Coalition:- Commonly referred to as the Tano Bora Cheetah brothers, they reign some major parts of the reserve and are known to put up quite some interesting shows for guests. They are aggressive and strong when hunting, and protecting their territory. Spotting them is quite a special moment.
- The Black Rhinos:- They are as well under great threat from poachers, known to be killed for their horns. In Masai Mara, they are kept under tight surveillance and protection. Not easy to spot them in the reserve, but quite a special moment when you sight them.
There’s much more, and many other wildlife species you can manage to spot while on a game drive in Masai Mara. We recommend a minimum of 4 nights in order to have enough time to do your game drive and discover more species.
Planning A Safari to Masai Mara? Get In Touch With Us Now To Start Planning.
We have great and professional safari experts available and ready to help you design and curate a one-in-a-lifetime safari experience. Fill in Our Contact Form with the details you Would want or Send us a Whatsapp text to reach us +254780337652.