Wildebeest migrate from January to January traversing the greater savannah wilderness, crossing infested rivers, and fighting off the great predators of the territories in these regions. The best time to witness this beautiful phenomenon is between January and March, when the calving season happens, June to October when they fight for their lives crossing the major Mara river and its tributaries both in Masai Mara and Serengeti N. Park.
You can read more on how the wildebeest migration happens, the months, and other interesting reasons you should plan your next wildebeest migration safari.
Wildebeest Migration Interesting facts
Today we will focus on Wildebeest Migration Interesting Facts. They are unique and interesting wildlife species that play a great role in the African wilderness and ecosystems.
- Every year, around 1.5 million wildebeest; 350,000 Thomson’s gazelle; 200,000 zebra; and thousands of eland and other ungulates (hoofed animals) participate in what has been called ‘the greatest show on Earth, The Great Wildebeest Migration.
- Half a million wildebeest calves are born each year in the Southern Serengeti at the start of the yearly migration cycle, between January and March. Most are born in mid-February when approximately 8,000 wildebeest are born every day for about three weeks. They are able to walk as soon as they are born, so they can keep up with the herds!
- During the migration, more than 150,000 wildebeest and more than 20,000 zebras are killed by predators and crocodiles while crossing the Mara River and its tributaries.
- Predators such as lions, cheetahs, hyenas, vultures, and others usually follow the herd for food.
- The major episodes or intense activities happen in the months of January to March, during the wildebeest calving season, and June to October as they cross the mara river, jumping off the cliffs, and major hunts happening.
- The wildebeest, zebras, other antelopes, migrate together. The herds complement each other in security and food.
- The wildebeest migrate more than 800km in a full cycle. It is believed that the migration starts during the calving season when the calves are born, hence noted to start from Jan or Feb.
Recommended Wildebeest Migration / Calving Safaris
Some of the Safaris you should consider when planning a wildebeest migration/calving safaris include:-
- 4 Days Wildebeest Calving Safari:- Its a full 4 days safari expedition in the South of SerengetiPark or Ndutu Conservation Area, which part of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
- 8 Days Wildebeest Migration Exclusive Safari:- A detailed safari focusing on wildebeest migration and crossings in the Serengeti N. Park.
- 4 Days Wildebeest Migration Safari:- A short but interesting safari to the Masai mara focusing on the wildebeest migration and crossings.
- 12 Days Kenya and Tanzania Wildebeest Safari:- A combi safari featuring Tanzania and Kenya exposing you to both wildebeest crossings and migration experiences.
Need More information? Get In Touch With Us Now To Start Planning.
We have great and professional safari experts available and ready to help you design and curate a one-in-a-lifetime safari experience. Fill in Our Contact Form with the details you Would want or Send us a Whatsapp text to reach us +254780337652.